According to SEO Experts [BACLINKO, GOTCH SEO, DIGGITY MARKETTING]
It’s 2023! Chat GTP and AI are here and are here to stay. Everyone is wondering whether Google is still valid, and if so, what are the ‘top SEO trends to follow in 2023.’
Late 2022 and early 2023 were marked by the revolutionary chatbot ‘Chat GTP’ and its ability to interactively create content —don’t forget code in a matter of seconds.
Of course, like every ‘new toy’ in the market, questions such as:
These are but a few questions running through people’s minds.
Table of Contents
- “More SEO will be focused on updating content as opposed to creating new content.”
- “SEO prediction number one is you should expect fewer clicks.”
- “Indexing will continually be a problem.”
- “Google will Instantly detect and penalize bad AI Content”
- “TikTok SEO will grow immensely in popularity”
- “Traditional Blogging Is Dead”
- “Parasite SEO will continue to dominate Search Results, especially for affiliate queries.”
In this article, we put together a list of the
Top 7 SEO Trends in 2023 According to Internationally recognized SEO Experts:
Brian Dean is the founder of Backlinko, a website that provides SEO training and resources. He is considered a leading expert on SEO, and he has been featured in many publications such as Forbes, Inc, and Entrepreneur.
He is known for his in-depth case studies and actionable tips on link-building and content marketing strategies, and he has a focus on teaching people how to improve website ranking by effectively using backlinks. He is a well-known digital marketer, speaker and author.
SEO PREDICTION #1: “My big prediction for SEO for 2023 and beyond is that more SEO will be focused on updating content as opposed to creating new content.”
“I see more people focused on processes and different approaches to keeping content updated not just for the sake of updating it, but making it better over time.”
From an SEO perspective, it’s generally better to update existing content rather than create new content for a few reasons:
- Established Page Authority: Existing pages on your website will already have established page authority, which is a measure of the strength of a particular page based on the number and quality of links pointing to it. Updating existing pages allows you to leverage this existing authority rather than starting from scratch with a new page.
- Internal Linking: Updating existing pages allows you to maintain the internal linking structure of your site. This can help improve the user experience by making it easier for visitors to navigate your site and find the information they need. It also helps search engines understand the structure and hierarchy of your site which can help in the crawling process and how pages are indexed.
- Backlinks: When you update existing pages, you can also maintain any backlinks that the page has already acquired. Backlinks are one of the most important ranking factors for search engines, and keeping existing backlinks can help maintain or improve your search engine rankings.
- Time and Resource Efficient: Creating new content requires more time and resources than updating existing content, especially if the existing content is relatively recent and comprehensive. Updating your existing content can help you maintain your SEO progress with less effort and budget.
However, it’s important to note that updating your content does not mean simply changing a few words around or making small updates but rather substantially improving and expanding upon existing content to make sure it is still relevant and valuable to users. Also, if your existing content is outdated or no longer relevant, it may be better to create a new page to address a new topic, or retire the outdated page entirely.
Nathan Gotch is an SEO expert and founder of Gotch SEO Academy, known for his effective and actionable SEO strategies and case studies.
He provides comprehensive SEO training and consultation services to help businesses improve their search engine rankings and increase traffic. He is also a guest speaker and writer on SEO-related topics. Nathan tops the list with ‘Top SEO Trends To Follow in 2023’ as he goes more in-depth about future of SEO.
SEO PREDICTION #2: “SEO prediction number one is you should expect fewer clicks.”
According to GOTCH, one of the key reasons to expect fewer SERP clicks from Google is because of how Google is structuring the SERPs at the current time.
Take, for instance, a keyword like “buy winter jackets,” which is primarily transactional.
First, we notice an ad block; then as you continue to scroll down you view ads that push the other results down the fold as well as ‘people also ask’ section.
So, ranking in this particular environment, won’t yield results unless you are ranking in the ‘top 5.’
Realistically you need to be in ‘Top 3.’
SEO PREDICTION #3: “Indexing will continually be a problem.”
Another issue in the world of SEO that is recurrent is that Google has become extremely slow in indexing new content and new changes to pages, and there are a plethora of reasons and conspiracy theories as to why this is.
But one very obvious reason is Google allocates resources to crawling and indexing. This can also translate to ‘money.’
Since Google is a public company that is responsible for increasing earnings and being profitable, they are reducing the number of resources required to crawl and index pages.
There are a couple of ways to tackle this anticipated problem:
- Copy the link to each post and paste it in ‘Inspect’ on Google Console and Request Indexing.
- Build more links: This is the number one way to get Google to recrawl as frequently as possible.
Hence, indexing issues is another Top SEO Trends To Follow in 2023, as this has been a rising issue over the last couple of years.
SEO PREDICTION #4: “Google will Instantly detect and penalize bad AI Content”
With the demand for AI and AI writing tools (See Image below from Google Trends,) there is an increasing number of users that use AI Tools like a ‘writer’ instead of a ‘tool.’
For this reason, Google penalizes auto-generated ‘rubbish content’ that serves no user intent.
And make no mistake, Google has all the required tools to detect poor-quality content from AI.
SEO PREDICTION #5: “TikTok SEO will grow immensely in popularity.”
Google is fully aware that TikTok is emerging as a search engine for people to find what they want.
For now, certain queries can’t show up on TikTok like ‘best electricians in my area.’
Nevertheless, certain videos are already starting to show up on Google SERPs.
Since Google owns YouTube, combined with the introduction of Google shorts, sooner or later when you search for a query, you’ll see YouTube shorts instead of TikTok’s.
SEO PREDICTION #6: “Traditional Blogging Is Dead”
Many years ago, when you get your favourite blogs, you’d put them in a bookmark tab and revisit the blogs all the time to see what they were up to.
But now, people get new content on Social media like Twitter and Facebook to stay in touch and learn new things.
Does that mean all blogs are doomed? Actually no! They are well-established personalities that have people paying attention to them, so they constantly upload on their blogs.
Some SEO gurus will say ignore this as one of the Top SEO Trends To Follow in 2023, but the stats don’t lie.
Even stats show that blogging as a whole is on a decline (See images below.)
And we can tell, video content has been exploding over the last 5 years, and it’s the number one type of content consumed online.
The only way is by creating blog content that has organic traffic to drive visibility and is built around a keyword.
Hence a blog now in 2023 should be primarily for informational purposes.
Matt Diggity is an SEO expert and the founder of Diggity Marketing, known for his white-hat SEO strategies and expertise. He provides training and consulting services, is a guest speaker and author, with a focus on Local SEO, e-commerce SEO, affiliate sites SEO and White Hat link building.
SEO PREDICTION #7: “In 2023, my prediction is that Parasite SEO will continue to dominate Search Results, especially for affiliate queries.”
In case you don’t know, Parasite SEO is a technique to use another website’s authority and traffic to rank your own website higher in search engine results. This is done by creating content on a separate website and linking back to your main website.
It can be a quick way to boost search engine rankings, but it is not a sustainable or ethical long-term strategy; it is considered a black hat SEO practice and can result in penalties from search engines.
Say, you look at an affiliate keyword like ‘best CBD for dogs,” and you’ll see that the first page is crowded by online news sites with huge domain ratings.
In 2022, Google put out multiple updates that should have impacted SEO, but Parasite SEO emerged victorious from the updates.
In conclusion, 2023 is shaping up to be an exciting year for SEO with new trends on the horizon. By following the advice of experts like Backlinko, Gotch SEO, and Diggity Marketing, you can stay ahead of the game and give your website the boost it needs to rank higher in search engine results.
The above-listed Top SEO Trends To Follow in 2023 will help you stay ahead of the curve and give you a competitive edge. So, get ready to roll up your sleeves and start experimenting with these strategies to see what works best for your website. And most importantly, have fun with it!